Interventional radiology is a subspecialty within radiology that uses the latest imaging equipment for diagnostic procedures as well as for guiding treatment.
This includes the imaging and treatment of blood vessels, including angiography, angioplasty and stent placement to treat peripheral artery disease. Our interventional radiologists also perform biopsies, line and tube placement, uterine fibroid embolization as well as fluid and abscess drainage. These procedures are guided by imaging techniques that include X-rays, fluoroscopy, CT, MRI and ultrasound.
Our interventional radiologists diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Aortic aneurysm
- Benign and malignant tumors
- Biliary obstruction
- Compression fractures of the spine
- Critical limb ischemia
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Fallopian tube blockages
- Peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Uterine fibroids
- Varicose veins
- Vascular obstruction
- Venous thrombosis
UC Irvine Health interventional radiologists perform a variety of image-guided treatments and services, including:
- Breast biopsy
- Extremity bone biopsy
- Intra-abdominal biopsy (liver, kidney, spleen)
- Intra-thoracic biopsy (lung, mediastinum)
- Muscle and soft tissue biopsies of the neck, chest wall, back and extremities
- Spine biopsy
- Thyroid gland biopsy
Catheter and stent check and placement
- Biliary tubes and stents
- Nephrostomy tubes
- Peripherally inserted central catheters (PICC lines)
- Central venous catheters
- Ureteral stents
- Vascular ports
Ablative and other interventional services
- Chemoembolization for tumors
- Cholangiograms (biliary tree contrast studies)
- Cryoablation of tumors
- Image-guided nerve block for chronic pain
- Inferior vena cava (IVC) filter placement
- Injection treatments for painful joints
- Lumbar puncture
- Osteoid osteoma
- Percutaneous gastrostomy
- Percutaneous nephrostomy
- Percutaneous transhepatic biliary drains
- Radiofrequency tumor ablation
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty services
Our UC Irvine Health interventional radiologists are leaders in the use of the most advanced and minimally invasive diagnostic and treatment techniques.
The expertise and quality of care that our team provides is unmatched in Orange County and elsewhere in the Southern California region for several reasons:
- Our interventional radiologists practice their specialty 100 percent of the time at our state-of-the-art UC Irvine Medical Center, which has consistently been ranked among the nation's best hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for more than a decade.
- Working at an academic medical center means that we routinely diagnose and treat critically ill patients with complex conditions, giving our board-certified, fellowship-trained physicians the breadth of experience to know what our patients need.
- Our team of interventional radiologists team includes regionally, nationally and internationally known faculty, including a past president of the Society of Interventional Radiology.
For more information, contact us at 714-456-5655.
Our UC Irvine Health interventional radiologists are pioneers in the use of image-guided techniques to deliver life-saving treatment through the tiniest of incisions.
Our board-certified, fellowship-trained interventional radiologists include: