Women's Options Center: Services
UC Irvine Health Women’s Options Center provides multiple services, including:
- Pregnancy options counseling
- Elective pregnancy termination (both medical and surgical)
- Miscarriage management
- Termination for pregnancies complicated by fetal abnormalities
- Termination for pregnancies complicated by maternal high-risk medical problems
- Contraception for healthy and medically high-risk women
- Emergency contraception
Other services we offer include:
Comprehensive women’s healthcare, including annual wellness visits and routine screenings, is provided for women of all ages.
Routine screenings include breast exams, pelvic exams and Pap smears to detect cervical cancer. For women who receive an abnormal Pap test result, the center offers colposcopy, a procedure in which a specialist uses a high-powered microscope to evaluate and remove abnormal tissue from the cervix. The center also offers screenings to detect sexually transmitted infections.
Expectant mothers receive regular obstetric checkups throughout their pregnancy and can take advantage of a variety of prenatal classes.
View our events for mothers-to-be ›
Our family planning professionals offer women and men reproductive health counseling, education and birth control options through individual and couples sessions. Our family planning services include:
- Pre-conception counseling for women who wish to become pregnant. Women learn how to optimize their health before conception and ensure a safe pregnancy. Our patients still have the freedom to decide where to get prenatal care as well as where and how they will deliver their babies.
- Counseling on medical and surgical options for women with unintended pregnancies.
- Birth-control counseling for women to minimize risk of another unintended pregnancy.
The Women’s Options Center offers one-on-one counseling for women and couples. Specialists can provide appropriate services for miscarriage management, abnormal pregnancies and pregnancy termination, including medical and surgical abortion, emergency contraception (the “morning-after pill”), contraception and permanent sterilization.
Pregnancy options are explained during a counseling session—usually face-to-face, but also over the phone—with a trained professional. Counseling assists in several ways:
- You gain a clearer picture of how you feel about being pregnant
- You can get all of your questions answered
- You receive medically accurate and factual information on prenatal care, adoption and abortion from a physician or counselor
- If you are nervous or scared, your counselor can help you practice ways to tell your parents or your partner that you are pregnant
For questions or to make an appointment, call 714-456-7188.