Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
Severe obesity is a serious health condition.
Obese individuals are at far greater risk of dying from obesity-related diseases, including:
- Coronary artery disease
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Certain cancers
According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), individuals who are obese have a 10 percent to 50 percent increased risk of death from all causes.
Why have weight-loss surgery?
The combination of bariatric surgery and a comprehensive treatment plan may be an effective way for you or someone you love to maintain long-term weight loss and good health.
There are many benefits to having bariatric surgery, including:
- Improved longevity. Those who undergo bariatric surgery are found to have a lower risk of death than obese individuals who don't have surgery.
- Improvement or cure of obesity-related conditions. The majority of patients who have bariatric surgery have an improvement or cure of obesity-related conditions, including high blood pressure, diabetes sleep apnea, asthma, arthritis, cholesterol levels, and more.
- Long-term weight loss success. Studies show that more than 90 percent of people who have bariatric surgery are able to maintain at least 50 percent of their weight loss following the procedure.
- Faster metabolism. As you lose more weight, you will find yourself participating in more physical activity, such as biking, walking and swimming, which improves the body's ability to burn fat efficiently. Hormones like insulin and cortisol (stress hormone) are also reduced, which helps lower the body's storage of fat.
- Better quality of life. Bariatric surgery patients report a better quality of life after the procedure, including better mobility, reduced depression and anxiety, improvement in self-esteem, social interactions and sexual function.
Life after bariatric surgery
A Navy veteran, a Stanford nurse and a retired NFL player all used weight loss surgery to overcome their struggles with obesity. See how they’re thriving today.
For a consultation, call our Bariatric Surgery Services team at 888-717-4463.