Bariatric Surgery Services
Losing weight is not always easy. If you are struggling with obesity and related health problems, and you have tried unsuccessfully to lose weight, bariatric surgery may be right for you.
Our specialists at UC Irvine Health are leading experts in the latest, least invasive weight-loss surgery options. After weight-loss surgery at UC Irvine Medical Center, many of our patients safely shed excess pounds and experience a dramatic improvement in weight-related health problems.
We also specialize in managing complications associated with weight-loss surgery.
When you come through our doors, we work with you to develop a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs.
For more information or to schedule a consultation, please call us at 888-717-GIMD (888-717-4463).
Our board-certified bariatric surgeons offer a variety of procedures to help patients achieve their weight loss goals. Our team specializes in the following types:
Our board-certified bariatric surgeons specialize in the following procedures:
During and after weight loss, our team works with you to ensure your health and comfort, including body contouring to remove excess skin.
If you have had a weight-loss procedure performed elsewhere, we also specialize in revisions of prior weight-loss surgery. Patients sometimes may need a second surgery because of poor weight loss, regained weight or complications from the original surgery.
Learn more about the weight-loss surgery options we offer ›
Our UC Irvine Health weight-loss surgeons specialize in the most advanced, minimally invasive weight-loss procedures in Orange County, including the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and vertical sleeve gastrectomy.
- Our weight-loss program is accredited by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) as a Level 1 bariatric surgery center. The designation demonstrates that our multidisciplinary team has the skill, experience and latest technology to deliver the highest level of personalized bariatric care. The rigorous ACS review process ensures that our patients experience safe, effective outcomes.
- Our bariatric surgeons are leaders in the use of keyhole-sized incisions instead of traditional open surgery. They published the first national study directly comparing traditional open gastric bypass surgery outcomes with those of patients undergoing these newer laparoscopic techniques.
- The study showed that laparoscopic patients had less post-operative pain, a lower risk of infection, spent fewer days in the hospital, recovered faster and made more rapid improvements in their overall health and quality of life.
- After significant weight loss, many patients may seek surgery to remove excess skin. Our team includes experts in body-contouring procedures, including abdominoplasty, thigh lift, upper body lift and breast reshaping.
- Our team members include highly skilled physicians who have repeatedly been named "Best Doctors in America" in surveys of their peers nationally.
- We provide full-service, personalized care throughout your journey to health and body transformation, including nutritional guidance as well as psychological, physical and social support.
The UC Irvine Health multidisciplinary bariatric surgery team includes nationally regarded gastrointestinal surgeons and an international authority on body contouring after massive weight loss.
We also have experienced physicians, anesthesiologists, nurses, psychologists, dieticians, exercise specialists and patient coordinators, all of whom specialize in treating and educating significantly overweight or obese patients at UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange and Gottschalk Medical Plaza in Irvine.
Our weight-loss team includes: