Gavin Herbert Eye Institute Facts
August 27, 2013
Mission: To develop and provide technologies, educational programs, and patient-care solutions that enhance visual health and performance for people in Orange County, the nation and the world through cooperation with medical professionals, industry and the community.
Size: 70,000 square feet
About the building:
- Ambulatory surgery center with two operating suites and a laser cataract procedure room
- 8,000-square-foot eye clinic with laser procedure rooms and state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging technology
- Translational clinical research center for innovative therapy trials
- 34 examination rooms; four dedicated to pediatrics
- LASIK refractive surgery center
- Oculofacial plastic surgery center with one dedicated procedure room
- More than 1,500 square feet of education and conference space
- Optometry shop, with one full-time optometrist, one part-time optometrist and two opticians
- 3 entrances: surgery suites, garden level and office level
- First LEED Gold-eligible clinical services building at UC Irvine
- Braille Institute-inspired interior design helps patients with impaired vision
- Dedicated pediatric space with play-oriented waiting room and restroom with toddler-height sink and toilet
- First clinical building on campus since the 1988 completion of Gottschalk Medical Plaza
Cost to build: $39 million
Capital funding: 100 percent private philanthropy
- Abbott Medical Optics Inc.
- Alcon Foundation
- Allergan Foundation
- Julia and George Argyros
- Arnold & Mabel Beckman Foundation
- Bausch & Lomb
- Esther and James Cavanaugh
- Discovery Eye Foundation
- Josephine Herbert Gleis, Ninetta and Gavin Herbert
- Kratz Foundation
- Marsha and Bill Link
- Kelly and James Mazzo
About the institute
- Eight UC Irvine Health eye specialists are named “Best Doctors in America®”: Swaraj Bose, MBBS; Marjan Farid, MD; Sumit (Sam) Garg, MD; Baruch D. Kuppermann, MD, PhD; Linda Lippa, MD; Sameh Mosaed, MD; Jennifer L. Simpson, MD; Roger F. Steinert, MD.
- Our innovators hold seven U.S. patents for discoveries and developments related to eye health.
- Our eye specialists were the first in Orange County to implant a miniature telescope to improve vision in patients with end-stage age-related macular degeneration.
- Our eye specialists pioneered use of a femtosecond laser for a laser-based approach to corneal transplant surgery, replacing the steel blade.
- Architect: DES Architects and Engineers
- Contractor: Hathaway Dinwiddie Construction Co.
- Landscaping: Lynn Capouya Inc.
- Electrical: Cupertino Electric Inc.
- Plumbing, HVAC and mechanical pipe: University Mechanical
- Reinforcing steel: Pacific Coast Steel
- Glass and glazing: Walters & Wolf
- Framing and drywall: Martin Bros
Source: UC Irvine Health Advancement