Men's Health: Male Infertility Services
At UC Irvine Health Center for Urological Care, we are experts in the evaluation and treatment of male infertility.
About 15 percent of couples have fertility problems, and in about 40 percent of infertile couples, the male partner is either the sole cause or a contributing cause of infertility. As such, it is crucial for men in infertile couples to be screened and treated by urologists who specialize in male infertility.
Infertility in men can be caused by many factors, such as low sperm production, abnormal sperm function or blockage that prevents sperm delivery. Our multidisciplinary team of experts uses the latest techniques to diagnose the cause, rule out other underlying conditions and provide the latest infertility treatments and services.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call us at 714-456-7005.
UC Irvine Health urologists are leaders in the treatment of male infertility disorders.
Working at Orange County's only university-based medical center, our male infertility team uses the latest diagnostic techniques and treatment methods.
We are skilled in microsurgical techniques, including:
- Microsurgery to reverse previous vasectomies
- Microsurgery to treat varicoceles
- No-incision vasectomy
- Vasectomy reversals
Our team also performs minimally invasive surgery to retrieve sperm, a procedure usually performed in tandem with assisted reproductive techniques such as in vitro fertilization and intracytoplasmic sperm injection (IVF-ICSI).
Our ongoing clinical research gives our patients access to a range of promising clinical trials before they are generally available elsewhere.
Our urologists are experts at treating male infertility related to the following conditions:
Sperm production problems
- Chromosomal or genetic causes (Klinefleter’s syndrome, karyotype abnormalities)
- Medical conditions (diabetes, liver failure or renal failure)
- Medicines and chemicals
- Radiation damage
- Torsion (twisting of the testis within the scrotum)
- Undescended testes (failure of the testes to descend at birth)
- Varicocele (varicose veins of the testes)
Blockage of sperm transport
- Absence of vas deferens (sometimes related to cystic fibrosis)
- Prostate-related problems
Erection and ejaculation problems
- Erectile or ejaculation dysfunction
- Inability to ejaculate
- Infrequent intercourse
- Nerve damage
- Prostate surgery
- Retrograde and premature ejaculation
- Some medicines
- Spinal cord injury
- Anabolic steroid abuse
- Congenital pituitary problems
- Low testosterone
- Pituitary tumors
Our male infertility team offers the most complete diagnostic and treatments services in the region.
Diagnostic tests include:
- Comprehensive semen analysis
- Genetic tests (karyotype, Y-chromosome micro-deletion, cystic fibrosis gene mutation)
- Hormone testing
- Percutaneous testicular and epididymal biopsies
- Post-ejaculation urinalysis
- Scrotal ultrasound
- Specialized sperm function tests
- Thorough physical examination
- Trans-rectal ultrasound
Treatments and services include:
- Antibiotic therapy
- Anti-oxidant therapy
- Fertility preservation (prior to chemotherapy or radiation therapy)
- Hormone therapy (HCG, clomiphene citrate, anastrazole)
- Microscopic varicocele surgery
- Microscopic vasectomy reversal (vaso-vasostomy, vaso-epididymostomy)
- Nutritional therapy
- Sperm retrieval for in vitro fertilization
Our infertility team is led by Faysal A. Yafi, MD, a fellowship-trained expert in male infertility and microsurgical treatments.
We work in collaboration with leading in vitro fertilization clinics and sperm banks throughout Orange County to provide the maximum opportunities for successful family building and fertility preservation.