Pancreas Transplant Program
UC Irvine Health offers Orange County’s only pancreas transplant program and the only simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplant program. These procedures have the potential to free people with type 1 diabetes from daily insulin injections, significantly improving their quality of life and life expectancy.
Our surgeons use the latest techniques and they are actively involved in clinical trials for islet cell transplantation.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call us at 714-456-8441.
Who is eligible?
Candidates for pancreas transplantation include patients with type 1 non-uremic diabetes who:
- Have early or no kidney disease but need a pancreas transplant to improve blood-sugar control and prevent complications
- Have received a kidney in the past and need a pancreas transplant to improve blood-sugar control and prevent complications
- Have secondary complications despite medical management
- Have experienced frequent hypoglycemic events despite medical management
Benefits of simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplant
By undergoing simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplantation, type 1 diabetic patients with end-stage renal disease:
- No longer require insulin injections
- No longer experience episodes of low blood sugar or loss of consciousness due to low blood-sugar levels
- Experience a dramatic improvement in quality of life and improved life expectancy
Our transplant team includes highly experienced surgeons, endocrinologists, nephrologists, pathologists, pharmacists, nurses, dietitians and social workers.
Working at the only university medical center in Orange County, our physicians have access to a wide range of subspecialists as needed, as well as ground-breaking research and clinical trials.