Massages are more than just relaxing. In the right hands, they are an important therapy that can relieve a variety of medical conditions such as stress, pain and compromised joints.
At the Susan Samueli Center for Integrative Medicine, we offer the very best in clinical massage therapies. Depending on your needs, we are body detectives who use touch to improve everything from how you sleep to how you sit in a chair or how you move. Our techniques can increase flexibility for elite-level athletes or reduce stress for 9-to-5 desk workers.
In addition, our integrative medicine philosophy means we collaborate with other providers to treat the whole person, and not just one condition.
To make an appointment, call us at 714-424-9001.
Massage therapy at the institute is used to treat:
- Frozen shoulder
- Jaw and neck pain
- Joint pain
- Knee pain
We offer many types of massage, including:
- Medicinal massage: This type of massage is used to resolve specific medical conditions diagnosed by your physician. A variety of techniques may be used, all with a specific focus on the diagnosed areas.
- Swedish massage: This applies firm but gentle pressure to improve circulation and flexibility, as well as ease muscle aches and tension.
- Sports massage: Athletescan benefit from pre- or post-event massages dedicated to their specific sport. Focus is often on areas of overuse or repetitive injuries.
- Lymphatic massage: This gentle pressure massage is often recommended for lymph node surgery patients as a way to drain excess lymph fluids.
- Pre- and perinatal massage: This offers a healthy way to relieve stress, reduce the discomforts of pregnancy and promote overall well-being.
- Trigger point massage: A trigger point is hyperirritated tissue that, when compressed, causes pain and tenderness. This massage technique applies focused pressure to release this trigger point.
- Oncology massage: This customized bodywork addresses the ongoing needs of those with a history of cancer treatment.
- Kinesio taping: Unlike traditional athletic taping which immobilizes body parts, kinesio taping encourages movement and channeling of fluids. It provides surface pressure and tension to enhance the effects of massage.
The Susan Samueli Center for Integrative Medicine also offers Ayurvedic massage therapies. These vastly different massage techniques using warm oils offer their own set of benefits for health and well being. Learn more about Ayurvedic therapies ›