Pelvic Pain Management Program
It is estimated that one in three women suffer from some kind of chronic pelvic pain. Pelvic pain can affect women at any age, or during any stage of life.
At the UC Irvine Health Pelvic Pain Management Program, we have a team of experts dedicated to helping women experiencing pelvic pain and are looking for answers. We are committed to finding the cause of your pain, then treating it and restoring your quality of life.
For appointments, call 714-838-8408.
Pelvic pain can be caused by many different conditions, and often more than one.
Common causes of pelvic pain include:
- Bowel disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, rectal prolapse or incontinence
- Interstitial cystitis, or painful bladder syndrome
- Pain in the vulva or vestibule
- Painful intercourse and vaginismus
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Post-cancer treatment disorders due to chemotherapy, breast reconstruction
- Postpartum issues such as abdominal separation or scar tissue
- Post-surgical treatment disorders for cancers of the ovaries, cervix, uterus or colon
We begin by taking a thorough medical history with each patient, coupled with a physical exam and imaging techniques.
For many women, the source of their pelvic pain is complex and not immediately obvious. We work with patients to analyze the cause of the problem in depth.
Our team of clinical specialists work together to ensure a cohesive, complete approach to treatment.
In addition to traditional medicinal and surgical treatments, we also offer:
- Physical therapy
- Naturalistic approaches such as acupuncture
- Customized medication regimens