The UC Irvine Health pediatric gastroenterology team is experienced at diagnosing and treating digestive disorders, liver conditions and nutritional problems in children of all ages.
Our team is led by Phyllis Agran, MD, a board-certified, fellowship-trained pediatric gastroenterologist with more than 35 years of experience delivering patient-centered care to Orange County children and their families.
Children are not small adults. They have unique medical needs and they often express their concerns differently than adults do. It often requires specialized expertise to make an accurate diagnosis.
Our UC Irvine Health team has long experience in the diagnosis and management of gastrointestinal disorders and liver disease. We use specialized equipment such as endoscopes to examine the inside of the digestive tract or gather tissue samples (biopsies).
To ensure that your child receives comprehensive care, we work closely with other specialists as needed, including radiologists, anesthesiologists, endocrinologists, neurologists, developmental pediatricians and pediatric cardiologists.
Our team approach also includes good communication with the child’s family members and primary care pediatrician.
In addition, we collaborate with registered pediatric dietitians and occupational and physical therapists.
We also believe an important part of caring for a child's health is to help address any needs the child and family may have for additional community resources or services.
Caring for your child in a timely way is important to us. That's why we strive to see your child as soon as possible.
Among the ways we do this:
- Parents or referring physicians may call us directly at 714-581-4401.
- Same-day appointments may be available most Fridays, if no pre-authorization is required.
- We accept self-referrals if no pre-authorization is required.
- Urgent referrals are managed promptly.
- X-rays and lab results are not required before making an appointment. However, if your child has had these studies, it is helpful to bring them to the appointment.
- We accept all referrals unless the patient's condition is more appropriately treated by another type of specialist.
- Parents are encouraged to complete and information form and provide relevant family history prior to the appointment.
Our pediatric gastroenterology team provides experts diagnose and treatment for the following conditions:
- Acute or chronic abdominal pain
- Bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract
- Celiac disease
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic or severe diarrhea
- Feeding disorders
- Food allergies or intolerance
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Lactose intolerance
- Liver disease
- Nutritional problems (including malnutrition, failure to thrive and obesity)
- Pancreatic insufficiency (including cystic fibrosis) and pancreatitis
Our team is led by fellowship-trained pediatric gastroenterologist Phyllis Agran, MD, who is one of the region's most experienced specialists in the field.
We see patients at:
1140 W. La Veta Ave., Suite 750
Orange, CA 92868
Main Phone: 714-581-4401
Alternate Phone: 855-563-5320