Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes Services
Concern about your child’s growth and development can cause anxiety. Waiting for answers only prolongs the worry.
Our UC Irvine Health pediatric endocrinology team, led by a fellowship-trained specialist, provides expert and timely care for growth and weight problems, obesity, diabetes and hormonal imbalances.
We can help your child reach his or her full potential — regardless of size or shape. We believe in providing our patients with personalized care in a warm and nurturing environment. We emphasize easy access to appointments, including prompt scheduling of urgent referrals.
To make a priority appointment, call us today at 949-824-8600
The UC Irvine Health offers Orange County's most experienced diagnostic and treatment services for children and adolescents with disorders of the endocrine system.
As part of Orange County's only academic medical center, we offer our patients access to the most advanced treatments, based on the latest studies in endocrinology research for both children and adults. We participate in the Pediatric Diabetes Consortium, the type 1 diabetes TrialNet "Pathway to Prevention" program and the Norditropin® National Registry for growth failure.
Giving your child timely access to care is important to us. We strive to remove obstacles and prevent delays so that we can see your child as soon as possible. Among the ways we do this:
- Same-day appointments may be available most Tuesdays and Thursdays — if no pre-authorization is required
- Self-referrals are accepted if no pre-authorization is required
- All urgent referrals are promptly managed
- X-rays and lab results are not required before making an appointment
- We accept all referrals — including those about weight — unless the patient's condition is more appropriate for another specialty
- Parents concerned about their child's growth do not have to attend a growth seminar before making an appointment
- Parents who may be concerned about precocious puberty in their child can get an accelerated appointment, without the child having a full medical work-up
The endocrine system is made up of the hormone-producing glands that regulate metabolism, growth and development, sexual function and reproduction, among many other body functions. It includes the adrenal, pituitary, parathyroid and thyroid glands, as well as the pancreas, ovaries (in females) and testicles (in males).
Hormone imbalances in children and adolescents can lead to a variety of conditions, including diabetes and problems with height, weight, bone density, sexual development, excessive body hair, acne and menstrual cycles.
Timely medical intervention is critical to achieving a favorable outcome. We diagnose and treat the following conditions:
We see patients at UC Irvine Health Gottschalk Medical Plaza in Irvine. As part of the UC Irvine School of Medicine's affiliation with CHOC Children’s Hospital of Orange County, we also provide pediatric endocrinology services at the CHOC subspecialty clinic in Orange.
Our team is led by fellowship-trained pediatric endocrinologist Dr. Ajanta Naidu, who is one of the region's most experienced specialists in the field.
Other team members include:
Jennifer Christensen, registered nurse
- Mary Jean Christian, registered dietician and Certified Diabetes Educator®
- Ashton Grewer, medical assistant
- Susan Izzo, registered nurse and Certified Diabetes Educator®
We see patients at UC Irvine Health Gottschalk Medical Plaza in Irvine and the CHOC Children's subspecialty clinic in Orange.