UC Irvine Health has the most experienced team of kidney specialists in Orange County and the region, offering expert care for all types of kidney disorders and diseases.
We offer extensive inpatient and outpatient kidney dialysis services. UC Irvine Medical Center is home to a state-of-the-art, 20-station dialysis facility, which is designed to treat adult and teenage patients with end-stage renal disease.
We take a multidisciplinary approach to ensure that each dialysis patient receives individualized care.
Our nephrologists also are dedicated to improving care through their research efforts at Orange County’s only university hospital.
Through their studies and clinical trials, our patients have access to leading-edge therapies and technologies, often well before they are available elsewhere.
Our team of includes physicians who have repeatedly been ranked among the nation's leading nephrology and kidney-dialysis specialists by Best Doctors in America® and Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., and recognized as Physicians of Excellence by the Orange County Medical Association.
Our nephrology specialists offer consultation, medical treatment and follow-up care for the following conditions:
- Kidney (renal) insufficiency or failure
- Chronic kidney disease, Stages 1 to 5
- End-stage renal disease
- Kidney stones (Nephrolithiasis)
- Kidney cancer
- Acute kidney injury
- Drug-induced kidney injury or disease
- Cystic kidney disease (including polycystic kidney disease)
- Hereditary kidney disease
- Pediatric kidney diseases
- Kidney disease and high blood pressure in pregnancy
- Diabetic kidney disease
- Anemia due to chronic kidney disease
- Protein in the urine (proteinuria and albuminuria)
- Bloody urine (hematuria)
- Foamy urine
- Electrolyte abnormalities (including disorders of sodium, potassium and calcium)
- Vitamin D abnormalities
- Acid-base disorders (acidosis, alkalosis)
- Fanconi syndrome
- High blood pressure (primary and secondary hypertension)
- Interstitial, hereditary and lupus nephritis
- Thin basement membrane disease
- Glomerulonephritis (membranous, focal-segmental, membranoproliferative, IgA)
- Obstructive uropathy
- Abnormal creatinine
- Abnormal glomerular filtration rate
- Fluid retention (edema, anasarca)
At UC Irvine Medical Center, which is listed among the top 50 U.S. hospitals for treating kidney disorders by U.S. News & World Report, our nephrologists provide the following treatments and services:
- Home-based peritoneal and hemodialysis
- In-center hemodialysis
- Acute inpatient hemodialysis
- Evaluation for kidney transplant and referrals to transplant surgeons
- Post-operative care and management of kidney transplant and kidney cancer patients
- Coordinated care for kidney disease in pregnancy
- Coordinated care for any kidney procedure
- Nutritional management of kidney disease
At UC Irvine Medical Center, we offer extensive dialysis services, including:
Our 20-station dialysis facility serves outpatients, including adults and teenagers with end-stage renal disease.
We offer our patients peritoneal home dialysis. This includes complete training and support services for continuous ambulatory or continuous cycling dialysis. This program is available to both adults and children with end-stage renal failure.
- Inpatient (acute) dialysis
We provide inpatient hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, continuous arteriovenous hemofiltration (CAVH) and continuous veno-venous hemofiltration (CVVH) to adults and children with either chronic or acute renal failure.
Hypertensive patients are given a comprehensive assessment of primary and secondary hypertension with or without renal disease. Our nephrology specialists also conduct clinical research trials at UC Irvine Medical Center, which is Orange County’s only university hospital.
Patients enrolled in study protocols receive complete clinical laboratory evaluation, medications and follow-up care free of charge. In some cases, enrollees may also receive monetary compensation for their time and travel.