Eye Care Services
Whether you need a routine eye evaluation or care for complex vision problems, the internationally respected ophthalmologists at the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute are Orange County’s leading eye-care providers.
Our board-certified specialists offer state-of-the-art eye care services that range from basic eye exams and laser vision correction to complex surgical procedures and medical management of degenerative eye diseases at Orange County's only university eye center.
Ours is the only eye care center in Orange County to offer femtosecond laser corneal transplantation and the only one to implant tiny telescopes to treat patients with end-stage macular degeneration. We also are international leaders in glaucoma implant surgery.
Advanced clinical facilities
Our new $39-million home on the university campus in Irvine offers the most advanced clinical facilities, optical equipment and surgical suites in the region. Our UC Irvine Health eye surgeons and research scientists not only provide our patients the most advanced eye care, they also offer access to leading-edge clinical trials and sight-saving treatments and therapies for virtually any eye disorder.
At the Gavin Herbert Eye Institute, we are dedicated to delivering outstanding patient care.
To make an appointment, please call 949-824-2020 or 714-456-7183.
The range and depth of clinical and scientific expertise of our ophthalmologists at the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute enables us to deliver the highest quality care for the complete range of eye conditions.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Cataract surgery
- Comprehensive eye care
- Corneal surgery/External disease
- Cosmetic eye surgery
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Eye cancer
- Laser treatment and research
- Molecular virology and immunology
We provide comprehensive eye exams and perform leading-edge procedures with the most advanced equipment available today, including:
- Femtosecond laser keratoplasty
- Implantable mini telescope for age-related macular degeneration
- Boston keratoprosthesis (artificial cornea)
- Navilas® laser system for retinal disease
Learn more about the conditions we treat and the services we provide ›
Learn more about our laser refractive surgery services ›
You can count on receiving the highest quality eye care at the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute because our ophthalmologists are at the forefront of advances in treating vision problems.
- Our team includes pioneers in the development and use of ophthalmic lasers and refractive surgery techniques. Their work has formed the foundations of LASIK surgery, the development of the blade-less IntraLase™ laser and the most advanced techniques for corneal transplants and intraocular lens implants.
- Our team has made critical advances in treating age-related macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in people over age 55. We are the only eye care center in Orange County restore vision to patients with end-stage macular degeneration with tiny telescope implants.
- Our surgeons, stem cell researchers, geneticists, infectious disease specialists and engineers are working on technologies and treatments for diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, corneal disease and cataracts, as well as a vaccine to prevent eye and genital herpes infections.
- We also are international leaders in glaucoma implant surgery, having developed many of the techniques and technologies used around the world today. Our team also includes specialists in neuro-ophthalmology, ocular oncology, oculofacial plastics and orbital surgery.
- These efforts have vaulted the institute into the top echelons of U.S. institutions receiving National Institutes of Health grants for vision research.
Our institute's ophthalmologists bring this expertise and vision to the care they provide daily to patients with eye conditions that range from mild myopia to rare retinal and ocular disorders. Many of them appear regularly on the "Best Doctors in America®" list, a peer-review survey that represents the top 5 percent of specialists in the nation.
We see patients at the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute on the university campus in Irvine and at UC Irvine Medical Center's Pavilion II in Orange.
At the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute, our team of board-certified, fellowship-trained ophthalmologists is dedicated to providing unmatched, compassionate patient for all diseases and disorders of the eye.
Our eye care specialists are: