You can count on receiving the highest quality eye care at the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute because our ophthalmologists are at the forefront of advances in treating vision problems.
- Our team includes pioneers in the development and use of ophthalmic lasers and refractive surgery techniques. Their work has formed the foundations of LASIK surgery, the development of the blade-less IntraLase™ laser and the most advanced techniques for corneal transplants and intraocular lens implants.
- Our team has made critical advances in treating age-related macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in people over age 55. We are the only eye care center in Orange County restore vision to patients with end-stage macular degeneration with tiny telescope implants.
- Our surgeons, stem cell researchers, geneticists, infectious disease specialists and engineers are working on technologies and treatments for diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, corneal disease and cataracts, as well as a vaccine to prevent eye and genital herpes infections.
- We also are international leaders in glaucoma implant surgery, having developed many of the techniques and technologies used around the world today. Our team also includes specialists in neuro-ophthalmology, ocular oncology, oculofacial plastics and orbital surgery.
- These efforts have vaulted the institute into the top echelons of U.S. institutions receiving National Institutes of Health grants for vision research.
Our institute's ophthalmologists bring this expertise and vision to the care they provide daily to patients with eye conditions that range from mild myopia to rare retinal and ocular disorders. Many of them appear regularly on the "Best Doctors in America®" list, a peer-review survey that represents the top 5 percent of specialists in the nation.
We see patients at the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute on the university campus in Irvine and at UC Irvine Medical Center's Pavilion II in Orange.
The range and depth of clinical and scientific expertise of our ophthalmologists at the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute enables us to deliver the highest quality care for the complete range of eye conditions.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Cataract surgery
- Comprehensive eye care
- Corneal surgery/External disease
- Cosmetic eye surgery
- Detached retina
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Dry eyes
- Eye cancer
- Laser treatment and research
- Molecular virology and immunology
- Oculofacial plastic and orbital reconstructive surgery
- Ocular pathology
- Pediatric ophthalmology
- Pediatric and adult strabismus
- Refractive (LASIK) surgery
- Retinitis pigmentosa stem cell research
- Uveitis and ocular inflammation
- Vitreoretinal surgery and retinal diseases
We provide comprehensive eye exams and perform leading-edge procedures with the most advanced equipment available today, including:
- Femtosecond laser keratoplasty
- Implantable mini telescope for age-related macular degeneration
- Boston keratoprosthesis (artificial cornea)
- Navilas® laser system for retinal disease
Learn more about the conditions we treat and the services we provide ›
Learn more about our laser refractive surgery services ›
At the UC Irvine Health Gavin Herbert Eye Institute, our team of board-certified, fellowship-trained ophthalmologists is dedicated to providing unmatched, compassionate patient for all diseases and disorders of the eye.
Our eye care specialists are:
- Anand B. Bhatt, MD
- Chantal J. Boisvert, MD
- Jennifer J. Che, OD
- Robert W. Crow, MD
- Marjan Farid, MD
- Sumit Garg, MD
- Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
- Sanjay R. Kedhar, MD
- Maria C. Kenney, MD
- Baruch D. Kuppermann, MD
- Robert W. Lingua, MD
- Linda S. Lippa, MD
- Stephanie Y. Lu, MD
- Mitul C. Mehta, MD
- Sameh Mosaed, MD
- Anthony B. Nesburn, MD
- Jennifer L. Simpson, MD
- Roger F. Steinert, MD
- Jeremiah P. Tao, MD
- Matthew W. Wade, MD