Colorectal Surgery Services
When disorders of the lower gastrointestinal tract require surgical intervention, UC Irvine Health colorectal surgeons are national leaders in the least invasive, most effective methods to treat you and improve your quality of life.
Our colorectal surgeons, all of whom have been named "Best Doctors in America," are experts in the most advanced surgical techniques to treat rectal cancer and colon cancer, which is the second leading cause of all cancer deaths in the United States.
Our surgeons are pioneers in laparoscopic and robot-assisted colorectal procedures, which reduce pain, blood loss and recovery time, as well as help patients preserve normal function and avoid colostomy bags. In fact, our specialists have more experience with robot-assisted rectal surgery than any other U.S. medical center.
UC Irvine Medical Center is among the few hospitals in California whose surgeons are skilled at performing HIPEC, or hyperthermic intraoperative peritoneal chemotherapy, a unique method of destroying any microscopic cancer cells remaining after surgery to remove visible tumors in the abdomen.
Our colorectal surgeons also specialize in treating rare conditions such as Lynch syndrome, also known as hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer (HNPCC), and other inherited cancer syndromes.
To schedule a consultation, call 888-717-GIMD (888-717-4463) or complete our online appointment request form ›
Whether you need surgery for colon cancer, rectal cancer, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis or other conditions of the lower gastrointestinal system, UC Irvine Health colorectal surgeons are the experts.
They are especially skilled at minimally invasive laparoscopic, endoscopic and robot-assisted approaches, emphasizing colostomy bag-sparing procedures and sphincter preservation.
Our colorectal surgeons are part of the UC Irvine Health H.H. Chao Comprehensive Digestive Disease Center, which offers the full spectrum of care for bowel diseases and disorders, including:
UC Irvine Health colorectal surgeons are national leaders in the least invasive methods to treat diseases and disorders of the lower gastrointestinal system, including cancers of the small intestine, colon and rectum.
They are highly skilled in the full range of minimally invasive surgical techniques, including robot-assisted surgery, and other leading-edge procedures, including:
- Laparoscopic, endoscopic and robot-assisted surgery
- Sacral nerve stimulator
- Sphincter salvage procedures
- Total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEM)
- Transvaginal colectomy
UC Irvine Health colorectal disease specialists offer our patients a level of coordinated care unavailable elsewhere in Orange County—or at most medical centers in the nation.
All of our colorectal surgeons have been named "Best Doctors in America." Here are some of the reasons why they were honored in a national survey of their peers:
- Our colorectal surgeons are experts at minimally invasive laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgical techniques. These procedures reduce pain and blood loss, and typically allow patients to recover faster. They also can help patients avoid colostomy bags after surgery.
- Our fellowship-trained surgeons are among a select few in the United States skilled in advanced robot-assisted procedures for patients with colon and rectal cancer and other conditions. These include total mesorectal excision (TME) and complete or partial colon resection—without leaving a visible scar.
- Our surgeons were the first in Orange County to use hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), which involves bathing the abdominal cavity with heated solution of chemotherapy drugs immediately after surgery to kill any remaining cancer cells.
- We also were the first in Southern California to use a sacral nerve stimulator to correct fecal incontinence. The treatment is now widely available.
- As physicians at Orange County's only university medical center, many of our team members are actively conducting clinical trials, which give our patients access to leading-edge treatments before they are available elsewhere.
Throughout your diagnosis and treatment, our team has one goal: providing you with the most comprehensive care that meets your individual needs.
Our UC Irvine Health colorectal surgeons are national leaders in the least invasive methods to treat diseases and disorders of the lower gastrointestinal system, including cancers of the small intestine, colon and rectum.
They are dedicated to providing exemplary care to adult and young-adult patients, with an emphasis on preserving function and improving their quality of life.
Our fellowship-trained, board-certified surgeons include: