Colorectal Disease Services
Disorders of the lower gastrointestinal tract can be painful, embarrassing and even life-threatening. The cause can be extremely hard to pinpoint. In the case of colon cancer, there may be no pain at all until the disease has become life-threatening.
At UC Irvine Health, we are experts in the diagnosis and treatment of colorectal cancers, the second leading cause of U.S. cancer deaths and the most preventable. We offer the most advanced screening colonoscopies, which can safely and painlessly detect precancerous polyps and other changes in the lining of the bowel.
Our colorectal disease specialists are leaders in the diagnosis and treatment of other disorders of the colon, rectum and small intestine, including: polyps, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, rectal prolapse, anal and perianal malignancies, and bowel incontinence.
Our colorectal surgeons are experienced at robot-assisted surgical techniques and HIPEC, or hyperthermic interactive peritoneal chemotherapy, to target any microscopic cancer cells lingering after surgery.
We are dedicated to restoring function and improving the quality of life of all our patients.
To schedule an appointment, call 888-717-4463 or complete our online appointment request form ›
Whether you suffer from colon cancer, inflammatory bowel disease or incontinence, our UC Irvine Health colorectal disease specialists are dedicated to improving your health and preserving your quality of life.
We treat a wide range of diseases, from polyps, colitis, hemorrhoids and diverticulitis to cancers of the small intestine, anus, colon cancer and rectal cancer.
Our surgeons are especially skilled at minimally invasive laparoscopic and robot-assisted approaches, with an emphasis on colostomy bag-sparing procedures and sphincter preservation.
Learn more about the conditions we treat and the procedures we perform ›
Our goal at the UC Irvine Health H.H. Chao Comprehensive Digestive Disease Center is to eradicate colorectal cancer in Orange County. We work with you to aggressively fight your cancer and make it go away.
- Expertise: Our board-certified UC Irvine Health colorectal team members are nationally recognized experts in colon cancer treatment. Our polyp detection rate is among the highest in the nation.
- Advanced therapies: As part of Orange County’s only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, we offer novel therapies years before they are available to the general public.
- Personalized care: Our team of gastroenterologists, colorectal surgeons, oncologists and radiologists work together to tailor a treatment plan for your individual needs.
Our colorectal team members are pioneers in the detection and treatment of bowel diseases, offering our patients a level of coordinated care unavailable elsewhere in Orange County — or in most medical centers in the nation.
- Routine screening after age 50 can prevent 60 percent of colon cancer deaths, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Our gastroenterologists are skilled in the latest screening colonoscopy techniques, including underwater colonoscopy, and are able to detect even the smallest changes in the bowel lining safely and painlessly.
- We also have a high-risk colorectal cancer program, offering onsite genetic counseling and testing for people who may have a family history of colorectal cancer.
- When surgery is indicated, we are experts at minimally invasive laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgical techniques that not only reduce pain, blood loss and recovery time, but also help our patients avoid colostomy bags.
- Our fellowship-trained surgeons are among a select few in the United States skilled in advanced robot-assisted procedures for patients with colon and rectal cancer and other conditions. These include total mesorectal excision (TME) and complete or partial colon resection — without leaving a visible scar.
- For patients with ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, we offer the region’s only comprehensive program to treat inflammatory bowel disease.
- We were the first in Orange County to use hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), which involves bathing the abdominal cavity with warmed solution of chemotherapy drugs immediately after surgery to kill any lingering cancer cells.
- We also were the first in Southern California to use a sacral nerve stimulator for fecal incontinence. The treatment is now widely available.
- And as physicians at Orange County's only university medical center, many of our team members are actively conducting clinical trials that give our patients access to leading-edge treatments before they are available elsewhere.
Throughout your diagnosis and treatment, our team has one goal: providing you with the most comprehensive care. Our experienced physicians work with you to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that meets your individual needs.
Our experienced team of colorectal disease experts includes board-certified and fellowship-trained gastroenterologists, colorectal surgeons, medical oncologists, highly skilled nurses and other healthcare professionals who specialize in caring for patients with gastrointestinal disorders.
We also work closely with pathologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists and an extensive support team. Together, we are equipped to help our patients with all aspects of colorectal diseases and conditions.
Our physicians include: