When you have had a serious cardiac event—including a heart attack, open-heart surgery or stent placement—it can be overwhelming to determine your next steps toward making a full recovery.
The caring, compassionate team at UC Irvine Health Cardiac Rehabilitation Services is here to help you. Every patient we see is fully assessed after a serious cardiac event. From there, we create a treatment plan unique to you, taking into account your condition, lifestyle and overall goals.
Cardiac rehabilitation is recommended for patients who have undergone:
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction)
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery
- Current stable angina pectoris
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Heart failure
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty
- Coronary stenting
- Heart transplant
For patients with private insurance, we also provide rehabilitation for ventricular assist devices.
To see a cardiac rehabilitation specialist, call us today at 714-456-6699.
Our team at UC Irvine Health Cardiac Rehabilitation Services works with you to set goals for exercise and lifestyle modifications, monitoring your progress daily.
To return you to the path of optimum health and wellness, we offer:
- Prescribed exercises to improve cardiovascular health gradually and safely
- Education about heart disease
- Counseling and education about heart disease and improving your risk factors
- Smoking reduction or cessation assistance
- Education about lowering cholesterol
- Education about controlling high blood pressure
- Help with weight loss and weight control
- Assistance with improving and managing diabetes
- Guidance on increasing physical activity safely
- Assistance with developing healthy eating habits
- Improving psychological well-being
Risk factor reduction
There are two types of risk factors for heart disease: controllable and uncontrollable. Uncontrollable factors are age, gender and your family history.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Services focuses on reducing controllable risk factors, including:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Excess body weight
To regain your cardiovascular strength, you need to exercise the most important muscle: your heart. To ensure your safety, we continually monitor your heart rate with an electrocardiogram during each session.
We have a variety of exercise equipment that will help you achieve your recovery and cardiovascular fitness goals, including:
- Stationary bikes
- Arm bikes
- Seated cardio trainers
When you participate in UC Irvine Health Cardiac Rehabilitation Services, you will leave armed with the tools and information you need to continue building on the good habits you've worked so hard to establish.
There are many benefits to participating in a cardiac rehabilitation program, including:
- Improved daily function
- Improved quality of life
- Risk factor reduction
- Prevention strategies
- Increased knowledge of heart disease
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem
- Improved ability to make healthy lifestyle choices
The heart specialists at our UC Irvine Health Cardiovascular Center are leaders in Orange County and the region at diagnosing and treating patients with all types of heart conditions and diseases.
Their expertise in healing our heart patients and returning them to good health led to the development of Cardiac Rehabilitation Services, the only one of its kind in the region.
We offer our heart patients the kind of support that can speed their recovery and improve their quality of life.
For more information or a consultation, please call us at 714-456-6699.
UC Irvine Health Cardiac Rehabilitation Services is led by Dr. Shaista Malik, a cardiologist who specializes in cardiovascular imaging and heart disease prevention. Our nurse is Jane Saulog, RN.
Our care team is one of compassionate and skilled healthcare professionals who will help you recuperate and take charge of your heart health, including a nurse and a physician who reviews your progress on a weekly basis. We also collaborate with other teams as needed, including rehabilitation specialists, physical therapists and more.
UC Irvine Health Cardiology Services is staffed by board-certified physicians who employ state-of-the-art technology to restore your health and well-being.
To learn more about UC Irvine Health Cardiac Rehabilitation Services, please call us at 714-456-6699.