Pacific Breast Care Center
At Pacific Breast Care Center, we take pride in delivering the most comprehensive breast health services in Orange County. With an equal focus on prevention, diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, our physicians offer the most complete care in a comfortable and soothing environment.
Our screening and diagnostic capabilities are second to none in Orange County and the region.
We are the first in the nation to use MarginProbe®, a device that helps surgeons ensure that no cancer cells are missed during a lumpectomy. We are also the first in California to pair the surgical device with intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT), a safe and effective alternative to traditional radiation therapy. Learn more about IORT ›
We also offer the most advanced genetic testing service and follow-up counseling for women who are at higher risk of developing breast cancer.
If you have breast cancer or just a breast health concern, call us to schedule a consultation in our Costa Mesa office suite. Whether you come for a screening mammogram or with a new diagnosis, you are family to us. We will help you every step of the way.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 949-515-3544.
At Pacific Breast Care Center in coastal Orange County, we treat all breast concerns, with specific specialization in:
Patients newly diagnosed with breast cancer often have more than one treatment option. We discuss these options carefully with you and recommend the best choices for you given your particular circumstances.
Advances in early detection and treatment for breast cancer make it possible for many patients to have an excellent prognosis to live a full and cancer-free life.
Pacific Breast Care Center is a one-stop shop for all your breast health needs. Having a fellowship-trained breast imaging specialist and breast surgeons onsite means we can offer you breast imaging, a biopsy, a surgical consult, a diagnosis and schedule your surgery — all within a matter of days.
- Screening mammograms are read during the same visit.
- If a more in-depth diagnostic evaluation is required, it can be done on the spot.
- Working together, our radiologist and surgeons can arrange same-day biopsies, with results delivered within 48 hours.
At Pacific Breast Care Center, we offer the latest technology and treatments. We are the only center in Orange County and the surrounding area to use the MarginProbe® system, which allows us to remove all cancer during a lumpectomy in one procedure.
This important technology, which reduces by 50 percent the need for a second surgery, was chosen by Popular Science as one of the best medical innovations for the year 2013.
We are also the first in California to pair the surgical device with intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT), a safe and effective alternative to traditional radiation therapy.
We also are fortunate to have in our offices:
- Upright attachments to our digital mammography units. This allows our patients to be seated for stereotactic biopsies.
- A state-of-the-art MRI that is less claustrophobic for patients. It also is more sensitive and accurate than similar devices in Orange County and the surrounding region.
Gentle, personalized care
Diagnostic technology is only as good as the physician reading the studies.
- Dr. Freddie J. Combs is an experienced radiologist who is specialty trained in breast imaging. His early medical training in family medicine is evident in the care and concern he shows our patients.
- For every member of our radiology team, caring is as much a prerequisite as competency. We take a gentle approach to ensure that your imaging experience is as comfortable as possible.
- Our experienced surgeons, Dr. Alice Police and Dr. Karen Todd Lane, are skilled at biopsies, lumpectomies and mastectomies, working with a team of medical professionals devoted to giving you the best possible care and results.
- If you need a mastectomy and choose to have reconstruction, we work with the same experienced plastic surgeons that we would choose for our family members. We use several different techniques that are tailored to your specific needs.
- For patients who need radiation therapy, we work with you to ensure you have the best possible treatment.
- For patients who need chemotherapy, we understand that this may be a fearful prospect. Our patients see medical oncologists who care for the person as well as treat the disease. Our oncologists work with you to preserve your quality of life during your treatment.
- A medical oncologist also runs our multidisciplinary tumor board, which allows every patient to get several opinions free of charge.
Emphasis on prevention
The science of genetics is part of a complete breast cancer program. We are the only center in Orange County and the surrounding area to offer myRisk™, the most sensitive test available for gene mutations linked to breast, colon and ovarian cancers.
Our UC Irvine Health physicians, nurses and healthcare professionals are highly skilled caregivers who bring their compassion and experience to every patient interaction. To us, you are family. We promise to bring you all the latest and best in breast health care.
At the Pacific Breast Care Center, we are involved in clinical trials and research endeavors so that our patients can benefit from the latest diagnostic and treatment solutions for breast cancer.
We are one of the few breast health practices in California and the nation to participate in a clinical trial of the MarginProbe® system.
The device allows us to evaluate tumor margins in the operating room in real time, saving patients the need for a second procedure to remove additional cancer cells. Second procedures occur in at least 30 percent of lumpectomies nationally, which adds significantly to the overall cost of treatment and is an emotional drain on patients.
View data for our first year using MarginProbe to obtain clear margins when operating for early stage breast cancer ›
We believe this device is the future of breast cancer surgery. It can be used on specimens removed in mastectomies, as well. The device's application for other types of cancer is also being explored.
Our surgeons also participated in clinical trials using intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) to deliver targeted X-rays to the tumor site during lumpectomies. The procedure may spare a patient from undergoing traditional radiation treatment and its side effects.
We are also actively involved in UC Irvine Health clinical research protocols at the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in Orange County.
View available clinical trials ›
Pacific Breast Care Center was founded by surgical oncologist Dr. Alice Police, whose family has an extensive history of breast and ovarian cancer. Her guiding philosophy is to treat every patient who enters our doors as a family member.
Our physicians, nurses and healthcare professionals bring their compassion and experience to every patient encounter.
At Pacific Breast Care Center, we do the navigating for you, whether you are diagnosed with our world-class imaging technology or at another facility. We get your records and films, and we transfer them to the appropriate parties so that your care is handled effectively and efficiently.
We are dedicated to ensuring that you receive the most timely and accurate information, as well as the best possible care for your unique situation.
Learn more about our physicians: