Breast Cancer Services
Whether you have a family history of breast cancer, a suspicious lump or pain, or simply need regular screening, our UC Irvine Health breast cancer specialists can ease your worries with compassionate, state-of-the-art care.
Our experienced Breast Cancer Services team favors a multidisciplinary approach. That means we work together to create a personalized treatment plan for each patient who walks through our doors.
We serve our patients’ needs at two locations equipped with the latest technology:
- The Breast Health Center in Orange, located in the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, Orange County’s only nationally recognized comprehensive cancer center
- The Pacific Breast Care Center in Costa Mesa, where our specialists are participating in a groundbreaking clinical trial of a new diagnostic probe
Using the MarginProbe®, we are able to evaluate lumpectomy tumor margins in the operating room in real time with a high degree of accuracy. Patients are spared the need to return for removal of more breast tissue. We believe this device is the future of breast cancer surgery.
To make an appointment, call us at 949-515-3544 in Costa Mesa or 714-456-8000 in Orange.
Our board-certified breast health experts diagnose and treat all conditions related to the breasts, including:
- Breast cancer
- Breast pain
- Nipple discharge
- Breast masses
- Patients at high risk for breast cancer
- Patients who carry breast cancer mutations
Our UC Irvine Health Pacific Breast Care Center is participating in an ongoing clinical trial to test the efficacy of a revolutionary intraoperative sensor called MarginProbe®.
This new technology allows surgeons to remove all of a tumor during a single lumpectomy procedure by precisely determining the margins of cancerous and normal tissue.
The device holds enormous promise for improved patient care by dramatically reducing the need for repeat surgeries.
Learn more about our innovative breast cancer treatments ›
At UC Irvine Health, our breast cancer specialists are dedicated to giving you state-of-the-art care. Our team includes leading surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and reconstructive surgery specialists, as well as highly trained nurses and other healthcare professionals.
Working at the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, one of only 41 NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the United States, our breast cancer team members integrate what they learn to improve every patient’s health. We are the region's most experienced team with the most advanced therapies and technologies.
- A program accredited by the American College of Surgeons
- Team members that include microvascular-trained plastic surgeons who strive to provide the most advanced care with the least invasive treatment
- Advanced mammography, ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) devices for breast cancer detection at our centers in Orange and Costa Mesa
- The region's only upright stereotactic breast biopsy system, which lets patients sit comfortably during procedures
- Comfortable examination rooms
- Laboratory results within one day
- Breast health and breast cancer prevention programs
Our affiliation with the region's leading cancer research center and Orange County’s only university medical center means that our patients have access to innovative treatments and clinical trials before they are available elsewhere in the community. Our research achievements include:
- Devising chemotherapy that dramatically reduced or eliminated tumors before surgery
- Extending the lives of postmenopausal women that have the most common type of metastatic breast cancer with a combination of the two anti-estrogen drugs
Our physicians pursue research in many areas of breast cancer diagnostics and treatment, including:
- Participation in the Athena Project, a consortium of University of California medical centers that seeks to improve and personalize breast cancer care from diagnosis through treatment and survivorship.
- Involvement in the MarginProbe® clinical trial. Experts at the UC Irvine Health Pacific Breast Care Center are using the intraoperative probe, which is designed to evaluate lumpectomy margins in real time in the operating room.
This spares our patients a second procedure to remove more breast tissue, which typically occurs in more than 30 percent of cases.
Learn more about our breast cancer clinical trials ›
The UC Irvine Health breast cancer specialists are a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists, reconstructive surgeons, researchers, nurses, social workers and other skilled health professionals—all of whom are dedicated to provide you with the best possible care.
Our team members include: