Brain Tumor Program: Treatments
As part of our commitment to delivering comprehensive care, the UC Irvine Health Comprehensive Brain Tumor Program offers the latest, most promising brain and spine tumor treatments. The ones that are best for you depend on the size and location of the tumor, along with your personal preferences. We take the time to explain all of your options and help you make treatment decisions that you feel good about.
We are the only program in Orange County and surrounding communities with internationally recognized experts in all types of brain and spine tumor treatments. We combine the best of research, medicine and compassionate care to help our patients achieve the best possible outcomes.
Brain and spine tumors: our approach to treatment
In addition to offering a broad range of treatments, our program includes access to new treatments that are not widely available. Whether you need surgery or radiation therapy, we deliver safe, effective care for any brain or spine tumor diagnosis.
You can expect to receive:
- A precise diagnosis: We use sophisticated imaging tests such as diffusion spectroscopy, to determine the tumor type, location and size. An accurate diagnosis ensures we create the most effective treatment plan possible. Learn more about diagnosing brain and spine tumors ›
- Advanced treatments: We are at the center of many exciting advances in brain tumor care, giving you access to more treatment options than ever before. Our active participation in research and clinical trials helps us offer innovative treatments, such as brain tumor vaccines, long before they are widely available. Find out more about research and clinical trials ›
- Personalized care: Making treatment decisions can be a scary process, but we are there right along with you. Your doctor remains in close contact with you throughout your care, helping to tailor your treatment to meet your needs and preferences. If you ever have questions, you are welcome to contact us. One of our doctors will return your call in as little as 30 minutes. Learn more about being newly diagnosed with a brain or spine tumor ›
- Safe and effective procedures: Our entire team is focused on your safety before, during and after treatment. As many as 40 physicians come together to plan your treatment. During treatments, we use the best available technologies to accurately target tumor tissue while protecting healthy tissue. Our rates of post-surgical complications are consistently low despite the high volume of surgeries we perform. Meet our team ›
- Patient support: You may find it helpful to speak with one of our certified chaplains or a fellow brain cancer survivor as you are deciding on treatment options. These are just a few examples of the comprehensive support services we offer, and they are available to you at any time. Learn more about patient support services ›
Brain and spine tumor treatments
We offer a comprehensive array of treatments and technologies designed to eliminate any possible trace of the tumor. Even if the tumor is complex or near a critical and sensitive area of the brain, we have treatments that offer hope for healing and a return to normal daily life.
- Neurosurgery: If you have a brain or spine tumor, you may need surgery to successfully remove the tumor. Our highly skilled neurosurgeons use the latest minimally invasive procedures to remove the tumor through tiny incisions without disrupting nearby healthy tissue. Learn more about our advanced neurosurgery treatments ›
- Neuro-oncology: Neuro-oncologists use medications to fight tumors. Our active leadership in research and clinical trials gives you access to treatments years before they are widely available. These treatments include new medications and combinations of existing medications. Find out more about neuro-oncology ›
- Radiation therapy: This treatment uses powerful, carefully targeted beams of radiation to destroy cancer cells. We use the best available technology, such as the TrueBeam™ radiotherapy and radiosurgery system, to make treatments faster and more accurate. Read more about our radiation therapy program ›
- Immunotherapy (brain tumor vaccine): UC Irvine Health is at the forefront of brain tumor vaccine development. This experimental treatment harnesses the power of your own immune system to destroy cancer cells. To help as many patients as possible, we are conducting trials for four types of vaccines. Learn how we are helping patients survive longer using immunotherapy (brain tumor vaccine) ›
To schedule an appointment, call 714-456-8000 or fill out an online request form. You may also send us an email.
Our 24-hour promise: If you are a new patient, one of our brain tumor physicians will return your call within 24 hours and you can be seen in our offices within 48 hours after insurance approval.