Comprehensive Brain Tumor Program
The UC Irvine Health Comprehensive Brain Tumor Program offers access to expertise, leading-edge treatments and promising clinical trials, providing patients with the best outcomes possible. We take a compassionate approach to your care, ensuring that you and your family feel comfortable with your treatment plan.
As part of the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, we are the only program in Orange County — and one of 48 in the country — designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). NCI-designated cancer centers are recognized for their proven track record in advancing brain tumor care through research and clinical trials.
To schedule an appointment, call 714-456-8000 or fill out an online request form. If you are a new patient, one of our brain tumor physicians will return your call within 24 hours, and we will schedule you for an appointment within 48 hours after insurance approval.
A brain or spine tumor diagnosis can be frightening. Our internationally renowned specialists provide expert care for patients with all types of brain tumors, including rare and complex tumors such as glioblastomas.
We match the best treatment to meet the unique needs and preferences of each patient. Our goal is to relieve symptoms and prevent tumors from coming back. In fact, our results (outcomes) are among the best in the country, meaning we successfully destroy tumors so you can return to the activities you love.
Program highlights include:
- Expertise: Our team includes experts in every aspect of brain and spine tumor care, treating the highest volume of brain and spine tumor patients in the region. Between 2015 and 2016, we treated more than 5,000 patients. This level of expertise translates to superior care for our patients. Meet our team ›
- Advanced treatments: We use advanced technologies to remove tumors that were previously thought to be inoperable. We are among the first programs in Southern California to use the BrainPath® Neurosurgery System. This device gently navigates folds of tissue to access difficult to reach areas of the brain and spinal cord. Find out more about BrainPath ›
- Personalized care: Our entire team comes together weekly to discuss patient cases and create tailored treatment plans. Whether you are interested in experimental treatments through clinical trials or want to try established treatments, we always take your personal preferences to heart. Learn more about brain tumor treatments ›
- Second opinions: If you are looking for a highly trained brain and spine tumor expert to confirm your diagnosis, we have the diagnostic tools and expertise you need. Our specialists are here to answer your questions, perform the necessary imaging tests and talk to you about the results and next steps. Find out more about second opinions ›
- Clinical trials: We are often one of the first programs in the region to offer new brain and spine tumor treatments through clinical trials. Our researchers are currently investigating an experimental vaccine that may provide patients with another effective treatment option. Learn more about our research and clinical trials ›
- Being a trusted partner to area physicians: We receive patient referrals from physicians across Orange County and the surrounding four counties. Our reach also extends to other states and countries. We always partner with referring physicians to determine the best course of treatment. When it is medically safe to do so, we transition patients back to referring physicians so they can receive ongoing care closer to home. Learn more about how we work with referring providers ›
We have the experience and expertise to accurately diagnose all types of brain and spine tumors, from noncancerous, slow-growing tumors (chordomas) to common tumors, such as gliomas, and rare tumors of the nervous system (primary central nervous system lymphoma).
Read more about the types of tumors we treat or find out more about being newly diagnosed with a brain tumor.
Whether you need radiation therapy or chemotherapy, we deliver safe, effective care for any brain or spine tumor diagnosis. We offer a broad range of treatments including access to new therapies available through clinical trials. Find out more about treatments ›
Our brain and spine tumor experts are pushing the boundaries of care with research and clinical trials. We are testing and developing new technologies and treatments that are making brain and spine tumor care safer and more effective. Learn more about our research and clinical trials ›
Our team includes some of the nation’s leading brain tumor experts. They have dedicated their careers to diagnosing and treating patients with brain tumors, giving them a unique depth of expertise. Together, your specialists work side by side to deliver seamless care that simplifies your experience so you can focus on getting better. Learn more about our team ›