This eight-week program, beginning Oct. 1, is designed to benefit anyone who wants to be able to handle stress more effectively and to enhance personal coping skills. Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) will teach you how to consciously and methodically deal with stress, pain, illness and the demanding challenges of everyday life.
The course consists of weekly two-hour classes and Saturday retreat.
This highly participatory program includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching exercises and mindful yoga
- Educational discussions on various aspects of stress and wellness
- Daily home assignments
As a result of attending this course, many participants report they:
- Better manage stress, fear, anger, anxiety and depression at home and at work
- Feel less judgmental and critical of themselves and others
- Decrease the frequency and length of medical visits to healthcare providers and reduce the use of prescription and non-prescription medications
$395 (Includes classes, workbook and all-day retreat)
15% Discount for UC Irvine faculty and staff; CEU credits are available
The instructor: Hugh O'Neill
Hugh received his college education in Dublin, Ireland, and has studied and practiced meditation and Yoga for more than 20 years.
He combines his many years of creative management experience in media and industry with his intensive training in Mindfulness Meditation programs. He has trained in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction with its originators, Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, and Dr. Saki Santorelli through UMASS Medical Center.
He is co-owner of Mindful-Way Stress Reduction Programs and had been teaching MBSR for nine years with Beth Mulligan and on his own at Eisenhower Medical Center, The Lucy Curci Cancer Center, Loma Linda University Medical Center, UC Irvine and multiple nonprofit and corporate settings. Hugh’s life experience has made him exceptionally understanding and sensitive to his student’s challenges.